As parents we are programmed to want to protect our little ones. Mummies in particular seem to have a strong ‘intuitive’ connection with their Children (we did do all the hard work after all)!
However I have a confession to make I’m a born worrier and whilst, with age I’ve learnt to handle this better I must admit when it comes to my family I still worry...A LOT.
I think this comes with having a 3year old that due to glue ear was ill at any given moment. She was on more antibiotics that first year than I care to remember. 3 ear operations later (under general anaesthetic) the glue ear has still not been resolved. According to the consultant ‘she keeps popping the grommets out like smarties’.
Those first 2 years it felt like I was on constant worry mode! Mr P seemed to worry less and be much more matter of fact and logical about these things. Whereas I’d worry about her getting ill, I’d worry when she was ill, and I’d worry about how many drugs we were giving her. My worry was coupled with dread, anxiety and guilt.
It was at that point that I started to look at alternative treatments and home remedies, I mean after all what harm could it do? I was sick of giving her drugs that didn’t seem to work for more than 1-2 weeks.
So that was when the germ warfare tactics began;
COUGHS & COLDS:
- Steam baths (not environmentally friendly I know)
- Olbas Oil placed in bowl of hot water
- Manuka honey, lemon, ginger and turmeric powder
- Vicks vapour rub on the soles of her feet (don’t laugh a pro-drugs pharmacist friend told me about this one & if it’s good enough for her kids its good enough for mine!)
- Jack LaLanne Juicer is back out. Apple, Lemon, Ginger and Grape for the ultimate vit c boost
MUCOUS CLEARING TACTICS:
- Switched 3yo from cow’s milk to goats milk
- Saffron infused into the milk (another tip from a friend which I figured couldn’t hurt)
- Cranial Osteopath appointments, don’t ask me how it works but it’s supposed to help drain the mucous, keep fluid moving and prevent infections. Sold to one paranoid mummy!
- At home cranial massage techniques 2-3 times a week (this is Mr Ps job which is done with much raising of eyebrows!)
BUILDING STRONGER IMMUNE SYSTEM:
- Homeopathic remedies (I know not everyone’s thing but trust me they seem to have worked for us) call me a fan.
- Vitamin sweets with omega oil (they stink but she loves them).
- Dr Udo’s infant powder blend easy to use good bacteria specifically designed for 0-5 year olds.
More recently the stress of Swine flu & other horrible winter viruses have had me keeping Shivali off pre-school (after all there is plenty of time for her to become a genius). Not only did I not want her getting it but I definitely did not want it anywhere near my newborn!
So, this winter we’ve kept both girls away from all germ infected friends and family. Washed hands after being out, bought enough stock of antibacterial gel to last a lifetime and Dettol wiped toys once a week.
So far this way of thinking has resulted in a healthier winter. Shivali has had 1 bad throat infection (antibiotics had to be given) and a viral thing which passed within 3 days. The rest of us touch wood have been pretty healthy. My germ warfare list is long but if it keeps my family safe and germ free I’m all for it.
So please don’t be offended if I ask you the state of your health before inviting you around, it really is not personal it’s just that I’m an over protective, paranoid wreck. There I’ve said it.
Call me crazy but at this point I’m hoping more of you come forward to tell me that you too are paranoid parents. If I’m on my own, then so be it as long as the kids are healthy I don’t really mind being the odd one out!